Monday 5 December 2011

My first true love.

I had my first notion of Jamie Hewlett and Alan Martin's irreplaceable leading lady, Tank Girl, when I was a very young girl and the older traveller girls had photos, canvas prints, tee shirts and even hair styles devoted to her. I would dress up as this majestic demon of a tomboy for Halloween when I could find enough tatty punk clothes small enough, or enough camouflage print fabric and a plaster for my forehead.
When I was 14 years old my Dad gave me two thick paperbacks. The back to back comics of Tank Girl, right from the very beginning, with a new insight to her childhood and the roots of her rebellion.
Her real name is Rebecca Buck, something few people know. She has a boyfriend called Booga, a mutant kangaroo. I guess it's no surprise that she drives a tank, and actually used to work for the government until she was outlawed for obnoxious behaviour and became a bounty hunter. The comic's style was heavily influenced by punk visual art, and strips were frequently deeply disorganized, anarchic, absurdist, and psychedelic. The strip features various elements with origins in surrealist techniques, fanzines, collage, cut-up technique, stream of consciousness, and metafiction, with very little regard or interest for conventional plot or committed narrative.
Basically she never grew up, never gives in and never lets you down. I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment